Friday, June 4, 2010

Last Day of School


Today was my last day of tutoring science at the middle school. Well, that isn't exactly accurate, because not a whole lot of teaching has been going on in the last 1-2 weeks. It was my last day there, and the last day of school for my students.

Other than the seemingly incessant, "What are you going to do this summer/next year?" questions from teachers and students alike, I was able to forego admitting to myself that, come June 5, I would be sans job again.

But, as I write this, the tidal wave of this fact is smacking me upside the head. I have a couple potential opportunities, but they are just that: potential. Nothing is certain yet. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. I am trying to master "cautiously optimistic."

A handful of my 8th grade girls were crying this afternoon. Two were full-on sobbing unabashedly. I asked their teacher what was up. She said, "Oh, they're just sad they're going to miss each other." As if they're not all neighbors, or texting each other constantly, or all would probably list Myspace as a hobby!

As ridiculous as I found their tears, I later realized that I could relate. We were all forgetting that everything would be ok. We all needed to remember that new things, or changes, can be great things. And we all could use a reminder that God has a plan for each of us.

...Tough realizations aside, my kids taught me a fun new game today called Ninja.

It might sound cheesy, but I'll miss them. All of them. I hope the best for all of them. And I hope I have made even the tiniest positive impression on their lives.

1 comment:

  1. It is weird to think of school ending as sad. I too had the tiniest tinge of sadness. Tiniest..
    I very excited about next year and the summer. I can't wait to see what is in store for you! I just know with all your talents the right thing in coming along. I trust!

    ReplyDelete