Sunday, September 20, 2009

So, what are you reading these days?

Share your recent reads with me, and your opinion of them. Here are mine:


A couple days ago I finished Sarah's Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay. This is one my aunts recommended to my mom and I. It is a beautiful, haunting read whose pace quickens the further into the book you go. The plot involves two story lines: one of a present-day American woman living in Paris, the other involving a ten-year old Jewish girl in Nazi-occupied France. You realize their connection early on in the book, but these two threads are more tightly wound than you think! I highly recommend it.
Since I seem to have been in the only English class in the country that did NOT read The Hobbit, I am finally getting around to it. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of fantasy books: elves, goblins, etc. Give me an art, sociology, or even historical fiction any day. However, I told Jesse I'd give it fifty pages. I am at page seventy already and am enchanted! The writing is descriptive and lovely, the story exciting. It reminds me of the Grimm's Fairy Tales that my dad used to read to my brothers and I (the ones with the scary illustrations that we would peek at anyway)!
Finally, I am in the first one-third of John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life. From the back cover:
God created us to live with a single passion: to joyfully display his supreme excellence in all the spheres of life. The wasted life is the life without this passion. God calls us to pray and think and dream and plan and work not to be made much of, but to make much of Him in every part of our lives.
This book is a great perspective-corrector for me. It renews my focus whenever I get caught up in things like worrying about my weight, or making fun of people who wear Crocs! It is full of scripture, wisdom, and relatable anecdotes.

4 comments:

  1. For the moment I'm reading nothing! I'm anxious to read Sarah's Key so bring it over. Maybe now that I've replaced my reading lamp I'll be able to see if I can manage to stay awake to read. I can't promise anything passed 8 pm. I remember enjoying the Hobbit but no details come to mind. As for Don't Waste Your Life, it sounds like a book I should be reading. It seems when school begins to get busy I lose all perspective. And yes, help us be more tolereant of folks in crocs! I also found a grammatical error in your Hobbit post. See if you can find it. I hope nobody ever starts correcting my errors, it would be nonstop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh..should it be "my brothers and me" instead of "my brothers and I"?
    I appreciate your correction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't know why I know that, but yes. My dad read to my brother, my dad read to me...My dad read to my brothers and me. You guys did love those creepy stories and the Michael Jackson and the monkey stories as well.

    ReplyDelete