Thursday, April 1, 2010

Movie Review: Zombieland


Let me begin this review by first saying that this is not the sort of movie I usually go for, er, for which I usually go. In fact, I never would have seen it, had my mom (like-minded regarding this type of movie) not first seen it and, surprisingly, recommended it!

In turn, I must recommend it too. Yes, it's gory, but not in a realistic way. While it is suspenseful, it's far more funny than scary. Plus, how great is a movie that features a list of rules? Rule #1 for surviving the zombie attack: cardio!

The soundtrack is awesome. As you watch the movie, you hear everyone from Mozart to Van Halen to Hank Sr. to Metric!

The cast members complement each other well, and make up a great enesemble. Woody Harrelson is the bristly Tallahassee. (The best good-bye he can muster up: "That'll do, pig.") Jesse Eisenberg seems to have studied Michael Cera's acting quite a bit. He nails the soft-spoken, nerdy, neurotic humor of his character. Emma Stone (Superbad, The Rocker) has the smoky eyes and voice that bring to mind Mean Girls-era Lindsay Lohan. And Abigail Breslin gives a solid performance as her little sister! She's come a long way from Olive (Little Miss Sunshine).

The quality, humor, and storyline of this movie were all pleasant surprises. I can't believe I'm typing this, but, you should see Zombieland!

1 comment:

  1. Only the few and priveledged own the limited edition rule #1 t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete