Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dream a Little Dream


Inspired by another blogger's post on dreams, I'll share mine here. I consistently have strange dreams. People behave unpredictably, places are mash-ups of familiar locales and strange new ones, and I have varying degrees of control over what I do in them. Like last week, when I voluntarily woke myself from a long dream to find I'd overslept.

For the past couple weeks, in all the dreams I have had, it's been raining. It hasn't been a downpour, or anything. It's just there. In one dream, I was driving my brother somewhere. My car suddenly flipped over- onto its roof! Neither of us were hurt, so we climbed out, and walked home in the rain.

So check it out: according to The Curious Dreamer, rain can signify
A gift or assistance from God
Nourishment and replenishing (as rain nourished plants)
Spiritual presence
Cleansing, washing away the old, and starting new
Wow! Dream Moods has the following to say about rain in dreams

To see and hear rain falling, symbolizes forgiveness and grace. Falling rain is also a metaphor for tears, crying and sadness. Alternatively, rain symbolizes fertility and renewal. If you get wet from the rain, then it indicates cleaning from your troubles and problems.

To dream that you are watching the rain from a window, indicates that spiritual ideas and insights are being brought to your awareness. It may also symbolize fortune and love.

To hear rain tapping on the roof, denotes spiritual ideas coming to fruition in your mind.

Hmmm I'll take it. I don't really know how much weight/importance we can give dreams (Are they prophetic? Symbolic? A mixed-up buffet of the subconscious?), but mine are definitely a source of nightly entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! I'm not a dreamer or a rememberer of dreams, anyway. Uncle Tom also had many dreams like you that he alwaya wanted to share. I can't remember a time when you didn't wake up and have a weird dream story to tell. The only dream I really remember was from when I was in middle school and I dreamed my mom was on the deck porch at our house that was sinking and she was shouting, " I will go down with the ship!" I like all the meanings of rain. They are hopeful and renewing instead of dampening!

    ReplyDelete